Lately, I’ve been getting ideas for short stories, from things I see, read, listen to, or just find myself thinking about. Ray Bradbury suggested writing a short story every week. His reasoning was excellent: “It’s not possible to write 52 bad short stories in a row.” But I think a would-be author might find this advice difficult to follow, presuming he or she is employed in some other activity in anticipation of becoming an author. I might be able to write the synopsis for a short story in seven days, however. Extrapolating, I have constructed (concocted?) a 16.5-month time line for penning a 50,000-word compilation of 10 short stories.
There’s a 90 percent chance this is a false start like many others I’ve had. And I’m being generous giving myself a 10 percent possibility of success. (Please, no wagering.) Then again, when a meteorologist predicts a 10 percent chance of rain, you almost always find yourself running to your car with a handbag over your head. I am considering enlisting the support of my creative coach as well as writers at local meetups. And limiting my reading of short stories and my research about short story writing (tempting delay tactics), relying instead on the resources I’ve collected and internalized thus far.
Here are the best intentions paving my road to hell:
- Week 1: Review the short story form
- Week 2: Refine my list of story ideas
- Weeks 3–12: Write synopses for 10 short stories (one per week)
- Months 4–13: Write 10 5,000-word short stories (one per month)
- Months 14–16.5: Edit 10 short stories (one per week)
I’m sure I’ll have to make adjustments along the way. Perhaps one story will want to be 2,417 words long. Another might need to be a novella. Maybe I’ve given myself too much time. (Ha. Ha-ha!) If my plan works, I’ll write a book about it. The title will be irresistible, something like, Crafting a Collection of Short Fiction in Just Under 17 Months.
Subtitle: Ray Bradbury Could Have Done It in 10 Weeks.
I would love to read a short story titled: paving my road to hell
Wayne, I love it! I’ll add it to my list of story ideas.
YES! (I know you’re good at following through with goals. Evidence: I find a new blog post from you in my inbox the last day of every month!)
Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. If nothing else, I should do it so I have material for my blog. 😉
Pingback: So Far, So Good | Novel-Gazing
Pingback: A Numbers Game | Novel-Gazing